Robert focuses on all aspects of commercial and chancery litigation. He has represented a wide range of commercial and private clients, both domestic and international. In particular he has dealt with cases involving fraud and asset tracing, trust disputes, breaches of financial services litigation, bankruptcy, insolvency, commercial contract disputes, timeshare disputes and professional negligence.
Robert has extensive advocacy experience, and appears regularly before the various divisions of the Isle of Man High Court.
Robert is regularly recommended by the legal directories for his work in these areas, he is described as “someone who delivers results” and who has “won praise for a careful and considered approach”.
Clients have also commented on his “diligence and forensic ability in protecting our interests” and “solid and dependable negotiation of complex commercial proceedings”.
- In the matter of the Fossdale Trust – Acted for the Protector of the Trust (assets US$230 million) in the context of an application to the Isle of Man Chancery court seeking guidance and confirmation as to the status of the trust, and the variation of the terms of the trust.
- Ausco Oil Limited & Others v C.A.E.S. Limited & Mr Daniel Kanu – Acted for the Defendants in successfully challenging, and obtaining an order to set aside, a freezing injunction relating to the transfer of a private jet.
- David James Coulter Cunningham v Lawrence Charles Alexander Ellis, Douglas Ronald Graham, Giles Francis John Penn & Bank of Scotland Plc – Acted for Bank of Scotland Plc in successfully obtaining an order dismissing the claim on grounds of forum non-conveniens.
- JSC Mezhdunarodniy Promyshlenniy Bank & State Corporation “Deposit Insurance Agency” v Sergei Viktorovich Pugachev – Acting for the Claimants in assisting with the registration and enforcement of Russian and English judgments and orders, in the Isle of Man, in excess of US$1billion.
- Bitel LLC v Kyrgyz Mobil Tel Limited and Others – Acted for various defendants in connection with a dispute surrounding the largest mobile telecommunications company in Kyrgyzstan.
- KSFIOM v LightHouse Living Limited and Elle Macpherson – Acted for the Liquidators of Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander (Isle of Man) Limited.
- InterRetire Limited v HSBC Securities Services (Isle of Man) Limited – Acted for the defendant in relation to the defence of a claim relating to the management of a retirement benefit trust.
- V. Schmidt v Rosewood Trust Limited – Acted for V. Schmidt in respect of a successful appeal to Privy Council on the nature and rights of beneficiaries to trust information.
- Arquebus Limited (in liquidation) v W Rafter and Others; Petition of Oracle Fund Limited (in liquidation) – Represented an Isle of Man trust company and directors in their defence to multi-million dollar claims brought against them arising out of the liquidation of a substantial investment fund.
- Desai and Others v Isle of Man Financial Supervision Commission – Represented the Financial Supervision Commission in appeal proceedings before the Isle of Man Financial Services Tribunal.
- Godfrey v Aston International Limited and others – Acted for defendants in successfully opposing an application for trust documents, relating to trusts associated with Yukos Oil.
- FPA Limited (in liquidation) – Acted as a court appointed representative advocate, to present argument to the court on the treatment of certain assets in the context of the liquidation.
- Financial Supervision Commission v Molyneux Roche Corporation Limited – Represented the Financial Supervision Commission in respect of the first appointment of managers to a company under the Financial Services Act 2008.
- Mascarenas and Merchant Barncorp of Credit and Commerce Limited v Financial Services Authority (UK) and Azzopardi – Acted for the English Financial Services Authority in Interpleader proceedings in relation to the ownership of an Isle of Man company.
- Petition of Isle of Man Financial Supervision Commission Re World Bank – Acted for the Isle of Man FSC, at the request of the World Bank, in relation to the successful winding-up of seven companies suspected of involvement in collusive bid practices.
- Petition of Scottish Life Re Devlin – Acted for a bank in enforcing its security and obtaining an order for a remedial constructive trust, set against a background of irregular pension transfers from the UK.
- Re Hatroushi – Acted for a UK Trustee in Bankruptcy in relation to recovery of assets in the Isle of Man.
- Petition of Raad Re Sturgeon – Acted for the Petitioner in obtaining an order arresting assets in the Isle of Man but without an undertaking in damages being ordered.
- Raad v Sturgeon – Acted for successful Plaintiff in recovering substantial damages for negligent provision of services/payments made by mistake.
- Asia Trust Limited and Another v Butterfield Investments Ltd and Another – Represented the trustees of an Isle of Man trust in relation to legal proceedings attacking the existence of the trust.
- K.D. Resources and Others v Boothman – Acted for the beneficial owner of various companies in proceedings alleging negligence and breach of duty by a former director of the companies; the case involved two Staff of Government Appeals concerning issues of illegality and strike out. Robert successfully defended both the Appeals.
- Gardiner v Bidvest (IOM) Limited – Successfully defended proceedings claiming breach of an alleged commercial contract.
- Petition of Emma Schmidt – Acted for V. Schmidt, administrator of a substantial estate, in opposing the claim by E. Schmidt to a share in the estate.
- Petition of Secilpar SL – Acted for the Petitioner in precedent setting Norwich Pharmacal type proceedings.
- Petition of Hindle Limited and Others – Acted for the Petitioners in respect of an application to court for directions regarding an Isle of Man trust and Isle of Man companies, in the context of a claim against the Trust / company assets.
- Petition of Cayman National Bank and Trust Company (Isle of Man) Limited v Weavering Capital – Acted for trustees in a contested application to the Isle of Man High Court for directions as to whether the Isle of Man trustees should involve themselves in English legal proceedings.
If we can help you with any requirements please call us on +44 1624 638300 or email us your enquiry to email@example.com